Can you help identify the photographer of any of these postcards of Brislington, and which were also published in Brislington?
The photographer usually owns the copyright (licencing the publisher to reproduce them) and although that artist may no longer be alive, copyright continues to protect their pictures for a further seventy years. So, knowing who the photographer was and/or who inherited rights to the pictures, helps us celebrate their work and may also set us on track to publish these unique views of Brislington from more than a century ago.
Please share the link (www.brislington.org/gallery/postcards/1_brislington2.html) to this page with anyone who could help (please don't copy the pictures themselves though), or email us with information - or even clues - about any of these pictures.
Incidentally, if you have a copy of any of these - or another postcard of Brislington & St Anne's - please get in touch (each one we can include in our survey helps us understand and promote this wealth of visual heritage).
Postcards immediately below were published by Brislington Parish Church - issued two photographs to commemmorate the Festival of Britain that ran from May to September in 1951.
Postcards immediately below were published by Edith Coe who published them from the Post Office at 22 Langton Court Road from around 1905 to perhaps as recently as about 1919.
With thanks to Andrew Palmer for the above image.
With thanks to Andrew Palmer for the above image.
With thanks to Andrew Palmer for the above image.
With thanks to Andrew Palmer for the above image.
With thanks to Andrew Palmer for the above image.
Postcards immediately below were published by two generations of the Comer family - Alfred and his son James. They ran the post office at the junction of Bath Road and Winchester Road (now simply a shop). The earliest known postcards from Alfred date to 1915, while the earliest for James are from 1922. The first eleven pictures below were published by Alfred, the rest are from James.
With thanks to Andrew Palmer for the above image.
With thanks to Andrew Palmer for the above image.
With thanks to Andrew Palmer for the above image.
With thanks to Andrew Palmer for the above image.
With thanks to Andrew Palmer for the above image.
Postcards immediately below were published by Louis Thomas Elson while living Sandy Park Road, Brislington, and it's possible he took the pictures himself. Many pictures were first published in and soon after 1914 but some may be later (up to 1924).
With thanks to Andrew Palmer for the above image.
With thanks to Andrew Palmer for the above image.
With thanks to Andrew Palmer for the above image.
With thanks to Andrew Palmer for the above image.
With thanks to Andrew Palmer for the above image.
With thanks to Andrew Palmer for the above image.
With thanks to Andrew Palmer for the above image.
Postcards immediately below were published by Foster B'ton - Charles Foster - while living in Kensington Park Road, Brislington ("B'ton"), and it's possible he took the pictures himself. Most pictures were first published in 1904 but some may be later (up to 1912).
The postcard immediately below was photographed by a man called George, but his full identity isn't known. The earliest-known postcard was posted in April 1905.
Postcards immediately below were published by Caroline and Edward Hollister, who published their postcards from the Post Office, Sandy Park Road, Brislington. Most pictures were first published in 1905 but some may be a few years later.
The postcard immediately below was published by D G Parker, probably in the early 1950s. Her/his full identity isn't known but it was published from the post office on Birchwood Road, St Anne's.
The postcard immediately below was photographed by the 'village policeman', but his identity isn't known. The earliest-known postcard was posted in April 1914.
The postcard immediately below was published by "The Red House, Sandy Park Road". The original photograph would have been monochrome (black & white), and was before July 1918 (perhaps several years before).
Postcards immediately below were published by two generations of the West family - Nicholas and his son Frederick, they operated from the post office in the village square (School Road). Most pictures published by Nicholas appeared between 1902 and 1904 (the top four below), while those by Frederick appeared later - in the 1920s.
The above postcard carries a handwritten message, which has been redacted.
With thanks to Andrew Palmer for the above image.
With thanks to Andrew Palmer for the above image.