The only known postcard of Brislington by R Barnett cites his address as North Street, Bristol, and some postcards of Bristol add that this was the Post Office. Now demolished, the post office was on the main road running from St James Barton to Stokes Croft, and was near the junction with Cherry Lane, and almost opposite The Full Moon public house.
Richard Barnett was born in 1873 to Edith (nee Reading) and Richard Barnett, and was baptised at the parish church of St Andrew, Montpelier, Bristol, while the family lived in North Street. His parents were both born in Berkshire, and his father was working as a post office clerk.
The 1881 census shows the couple with five children, all born in Bristol, living at St James Barton, and now the father was chief clerk in the post office. A decade later the 1891 census shows the family has relocated to Westbury, the father had the same job, and his son Richard had followed in his father's footsteps and worked as a post office clerk.
In 1900 the 26-year old Richard married Lilian Carter at the church of All Saints, Clifton. His father is recorded as a retired postmaster, and the census the following year describes him as a GPO (General Post Office) pensioner. The 1901 census shows the newly married Richard as working as a 'town sub-postmaster' and accountant. An annual trade directory - Kelly's Directory of Bristol - for 1902 shows the post office at 15 North Street being run by Richard Barnett (page 95).
His father died in 1910 at Clifton and probate (1911) shows the elder Richard still had a legal interest in the post office in North Street. The 1911 census shows Richard working as an estate manager for a brewery, living with his wife and two children in Redland, Bristol; however Kelly's Directory of Bristol for 1914 shows the 'town sub-post' office at 15 North Street was being run by sub-postmaster Richard Barnett (page 213).
A minor link at least with Brislington is evidenced in 1920 when as a freemason he was initiated into the Vale of Brislington Lodge, which was then housed in the White Hart (an early 18th century coaching inn on the Bath Road). This was one of several lodges of which he was a member.
Richard, who at the time was living at Stoke Bishop, Bristol, died in 1954.
Bristol Ariel Rowing Club - Ariel Rowing Club Boat House Conham, Bristol. Series number 2180. Earliest known picture: 1909.
A monochrome version of this picture appears with credit to the Pincock brothers, Bristol.